Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Anne's WBC journey


"Boot Camp"..... someone answered when asked what they did for exercise. It immediately evoked images from my younger years in Northern Ireland during the 'troubles'.  Images of army training near my home which appeared to involve running up and down the Mourne  mountains in all weathers dressed in full fatigues and weighed down with back packs or ruck sacks! Needless to say I was in no hurry to sign up.

Then I met Rita, a petite, trim lady who had joined Warrior Bootcamp a few months earlier. She assured me that I would not be sporting fatigues and doing 100 push-ups in less than a minute but that it was possible to  see some positive physical effects in a few months. I was convinced!

Not  a sporty person by nature, I do however enjoy outdoor activities. Going to the gym a couple of times a week was a ritual but tt certainly wasn't fun. I tried tennis once but ran a mile when after several lessons, the coach arranged for me to play with the highly competitive tennis enthusiasts at Penang Sports Club. Hiking lasted for a period of time but going downhill on older knee joints takes its toll.  So there I was on my first day feeling rather apprehensive but willing to give it a go. A variety of challenging but familiar looking exercises were introduced such as push ups, sit-ups and lunges, but burpees?  To me, they sounded like positions an infant might be held in in order to relieve their "wind"  if only..

It has now been almost a year since I joined Warrior Bootcamp and I can honestly say, it has been a wonderful experience. The people in WBC are a very positive and friendly group. I have made some great friends and everyone is extremely encouraging and supportive. 

The enthusiastic instructors bring their own unique style to each session which means it's never boring. It's about doing your best and pushing yourself beyond your comfort zone.

The World Health Organisation defines health as a state of complete physical, mental and social well being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity. I can honestly say that Warrior Bootcamp covers all these aspects of well being and I recommend it wholeheartedly.


Anne Loh

No comments:

Post a Comment