What is mental toughness ? Is it like what's portrayed by tough guys in films or top athletes in sports or maybe it is an attitude , a way we live our lives.
Here is my list of what mental toughness may be.
- Being committed and doing what you say you will do. Walk the talk !!
- Keeping focused on the challenge when other things are looking for attention.
- Repeatedly doing the little things that make the big things happen.
- Having the mental resolve , patience & belief to keep going, to not give up because it appears too hard or is not happening fast enough.
- Not letting excuses or the environment get in your way.
- Finding time in your hectic schedule to do things like physical training or studying.
- To have the self belief to make a hard decision.
- Having a quiet self confidence to back yourself when things may not go your way.
- The ability to keep going when your body wants to quit.
- The ability to survive in a challenging or hostile environment.
- Remaining calm when you are surrounded with chaos.
- Acknowledging that you have made a mistake or failed , not blaming others.
- Having the strength of character to stand up and do what you think is right not just following the crowd.
- Standing by your friends and team mates when the chips are down.
- Helping the less fortunate when the easy thing to do is look after yourself.